Today is a special day. Today, the world shall jump for joy and eat jam-filled muffins. Today we celebrate the birthday of Special Correspondent Derora.
You might wonder when we’re celebrating with jam-filled muffins rather than cake. You’d be right to wonder, so I’ve composed a list of reasons:
1. Cake is not a breakfast food. You’ve got to start the day off right, especially on an important day like today.
2. At heart Derora belongs in a tea room. What else is in a tea room? Jam-filled muffins! For her birthday, she should return to her natural habitat, and jam-filled muffins will get her there.
3. Derora is gluten-free. It seems easier to make gluten-free muffins than a gluten-free cake.
4. Maybe you’re right. Reason 3 is illogical. Back to the drawing board.
5. Let’s have ice cream instead!
If you’re wondering about those jam-filled muffins for someone else’s birthday
Jam-Filled Muffins [based on a true recipe]
4 tbsp oil
1/2 c applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c soy milk
2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4-1/3 cup jam
Mix together oil, eggs, applesauce, soy milk, and vanilla extract. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir dry ingredients into wet mixture.
Fill each muffin tin about 1/3 full. Spoon jam into center, cover with thin layer of batter. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Nothing will be perfect, all will be delicious.